The New Albany school board of trustees heard presentations from two architectural firms this past week.
Although one of the board members said they have no specific plans, prior to the Covid pandemic three years ago they were considering a major renovation and expansion of the high school building on Hwy. 15 North.
That master plan would include a multi-story high school at the north end of the building, replacing the old career and technical center. There would be a new gym, renovation of the auditorium, moving the career and technical school to part of the present school and perhaps adding a ninth grade academy.
The two firms were Pryor Morrow Architects and JBHM Architects. Both have offices in Tupelo and include architects who have done local school work in the past.
Representatives presented credentials, examples of work and philosophies of how they work with schools.
Superintendent Dr. Lance Evans indicated a decision on choosing a firm would likely be made in the next few weeks or months.
Director of Accounting Services Suzanne Coffey told trustees that the district continues to function well within the budgeted revenue and expenditures. The district ended the year with a fund balance of $185,000. Even with other payments the fund should remain well above $150,000, which has been the goal for several years. That amount is roughly what it would take to operate the school district for a month.
Among action items, the trustees approved a series of agreements providing specific services to the schools and students. They also approved a contract that supports internships and the school’s IMPACTO program.
In personnel, board members approved:
- The resignation of Allen Ball, teacher and assistant basketball coach, New Albany High School.
- The resignation of Allen Ball, head boys basketball and assistant football coach, New Albany Middle School.
- The resignation of Danica Buchanan, teacher assistant, New Albany Elementary School.
- The resignation of Mary Beth Muncie, head cheer coach, New Albany High School.
- The resignation of Dennis Siddell, bus driver, centeral office.
- Naming Tammy Almand bus driver, central office.
- Naming Larry Drummond bus driver one-half route, central office.
- Naming Pam Cobb teacher assistant, New Albany Elementary School.
- Naming Dana Buchanan teacher, New Albany Middle School.
- Naming Bert Anderson assistant boys and girls track coach, New Albany Middle School.
- Naming Easton Hall assistant football coach, New Albany Middle School.
- Naming Jake McDonald assistant baseball coach, New Albany Middle School.
- Naming Timotheus Strong part-time to full-time custodian, New Albany Middle School.
- Naming Melanie Anderson head cheer coach, New Albany High School.
- Naming Mary Beth Muncie, choreographer and coordinator, New Albany High School cheerleaders.
- Naming Eston Hall teacher, New Albany High School.
- Naming Danica Buchanan assistant volleyball coach, New Albany High School.
Trustees approved two monetary donations to New Albany Elementary School. Luther Johnson gave $1,000 designated for school supplies and the New Albany Elementary School PTO give $13,528.25 with no designation.
Before adjourning, the board went into executive session to discuss a personnel matter. No action was reported.
The next scheduled board meeting will be Thursday, Sept. 2, at 5:30 in the high school media center. The Thursday date is because of the Monday, Sept. 6, Labor Day holiday.architects, New Albany, New Albany Municipal Separate School District, Northeast Mississippi, personnel, School Board, trustees, Union County