A near capacity crowd filled the room at the First United Methodist Church for the annual Faulkner Literary luncheon Friday.
In terms of prestige and wide recognition, the Faulkner Literary luncheon is the major event of the Tallahatchie Riverfest weekend.
Winners traveled from New York and other distant cities to receive recognition and cash awards for their works of poetry and fiction at this year’s Faulkner Awards Luncheon.
Minrose Gwin, author of Promise, a fictional account of the 1936 Tupelo tornado was the guest speaker.
NEMiss.News will publish additional information about the Faulkner luncheon and this year’s winners during coming days.
Other events of Tallahatchie Riverfest weekend yet to come include:
- Shop The Block 5 – 8 p.m. Friday evening.
- Family and Friends Night at the Union County Library at 7:30 Friday evening.
- Case Knife Show at the Magnolia Civic Center 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Milner and Burns performing juggling and magic tricks at the Trailhead Plaza 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Thunder Paws Poker Run to benefit the Union County Humane Society at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Midway for Kids at Park Along the River 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday.
- Musical performances at the Riverview Stage Saturday starting with Sensations at 5:45 p.m.; Justin Kirk and Company at 6:45 p.m.; Shameless at 7:10 p.m. and the Molly Hatchet Band at 8:30 p.m.