The Mississippi Transportation Commission at its Feb. 9 meeting awarded contracts for maintenance projects throughout Mississippi, including one in Union County.
The commission awarded a $2.4 million contract to APAC-Mississippi for a 5-mile mill and overlay project on SR 15 from the Pontotoc County line to north of Central Avenue in Union County.
No start time for the project was given, however this is the section of Hwy. 15 between four-lane sections of the road in Pontotoc County and New Albany City Limits.
It was speculated that the upgrade would serve as two lanes of the future four-lane section once the other two lanes are constructed.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation will oversee this and the other nine projects announced.
“These projects will make our highways safer and make Mississippi a better place to live and work,” said Melinda McGrath, P.E., MDOT Executive Director. “All of our projects, whether pavement overlays or bridge replacements, help ensure the businesses and people of Mississippi have efficient and reliable infrastructure for travel and transport of goods and services.”
Commissioner Tom King, Chair, Mississippi Transportation Commission, said, “These projects will help MDOT continue to provide safe and reliable transportation to Mississippi’s traveling public. A robust transportation network is vital for economic development.”
The other projects awarded in the Northern Transportation District were:
- A $7 million contract was awarded to WG Construction Company, of Ripley, for a 9-mile mill and overlay project on U.S. Highway 45 from Euclatubba Road to the Prentiss County line in Lee County.
- A $20.9 million contract was awarded to Lehman-Roberts Company, of Memphis, TN, for a 12-mile mill and overlay project on Interstate 55 from the Carroll County line to south of Carroll County in Montgomery County.
- A $125,601 contract was awarded to Talbot Brothers Construction Company, Inc., & Talbot Brothers Grading Company, Inc., a joint venture, of Nesbit, for safety rail improvements on Chucky Mullins Drive over U.S. Highway 278 in Lafayette County.
Projects awarded in the Central Transportation District were:
- A $3.1 million contract was awarded to Key, LLC, of Madison, for a bridge rail replacement on U.S. Highway 49 north to the Interstate 20 west flyover in Rankin County.
- A $4.2 million contract was awarded to APAC – Mississippi, Inc., of Richland, for a 12.2-mile mill and overlay project on U.S. 49 east from State Route 12 at Tchula to the Leflore County line and on State Route 818 from U.S. 49 east to the railroad tracks in Holmes County.
- A $1.3 million contract was awarded to W. G. Yates & Sons Construction Company, of Jackson, for a bridge replacement on State Route 19 in Neshoba County.
- A $514,745 contract was awarded to Gibson & Associates, Inc., of Balch Springs, Texas, for a bridge repair project on Siwell Road over Interstate 55 in Hinds County.
The awarded contracts for the Southern Transportation District were:
- A $5.3 million contract was awarded to Warren Paving Inc., of Hattiesburg, for a 9.4-mile overlay project on U.S. Highway 84 from the Jones County line east in Wayne County.
- A $7.5 million contract was awarded to Dunn Roadbuilders, LLC, of Laurel, for a 20-mile mill and overlay project on State Route 15 from State Route 18 to the Newton County line in Jasper County.
For more information about these or other MDOT maintenance and construction projects, visit MDOTtraffic.com, download the free MDOT Traffic mobile app or like and follow @MississippiDOT on Facebook and Twitter.
contract, Highway 15 South, MDOT, mill, Mississippi Department of Transportation, New Albany, Northeast Mississippi, overlay, Union County