Sheriff Jimmy Edwards presented the last official state flag to fly at the Union County Courthouse to Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum Monday.
The flag will be archived.
All state flags depicting part of the Confederate flag were ordered removed by legislative action, which also calls for the design of a new state flag. Flags at city offices had already been removed.
A commission is being appointed to consider prospective designs that will be recommended for public vote later this year.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History, which is providing clerical support for the commission, is now accepting flag design submissions. The sole purpose of the commission, according to the bill, is to develop, design, and report to the governor and the legislature its recommendation for the design of the new state flag no later than Sept. 14.
Governor Tate Reeves, Lieutenant Governor Delbert Hosemann, and House Speaker Philip Gunn were to each appoint three members to the Commission to Redesign the Mississippi State Flag no later than Wednesday, July 15. The chair of the commission will be chosen by the majority vote of the members of the commission during their first meeting.
- Only unique flag design submissions that include the words “In God We Trust” will be considered by the nine-member commission. Flag descriptions will not be considered.
- The new flag design cannot include the Confederate battle flag.
3. Flag design submissions must adhere to principles of the North American Vexillological Association:
- Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, color, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
- Use Two or Three Basic Colors.
- Be Distinctive or Be Related.
The deadline for submissions is Aug. 13. Flag designs may be emailed to Emma McRaney email@example.com. Submissions may also be mailed to Commission to Redesign the Mississippi State Flag, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, P.O. Box 571, Jackson, MS, 39205-0571.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
archive, design, New Albany, state flag, Union County