New Albany Elementary School was briefly evacuated before noon Wednesday because of a smoke alarm.
Students and staff were quickly moved outside as firefighters arrived. The cause of the alarm was determined to be a malfunctioning smoke detector, possibly in ductwork.
There was no fire or danger to anyone and everyone returned to the building, although the precautionary action did interrupt virtual instruction.
The odor of smoke was in the air near the school but apparently came from an unrelated source.
evacuation, false alarm, New Albany, New Albany Elementary School, Northeast Mississippi, smoke scare, Union County