The National Weather Service in Memphis TN has issued a Flood Warning for the following rivers in Mississippi…
Little Tallahatchie Canal at Etta near New Albany (Union County)
- The warning is in effect from the morning of Saturday, February 27 until early Sunday morning, February 28th.
- At 10:00 AM CST Thursday, February 25th the river stage was 13.0 feet. Flood stage is 25.0 feet. Minor flooding is forecast. The river is forecast to begin rising early Friday and is forecast to crest near 25.5 feet Saturday afternoon.
- The river is forecast to fall below flood stage Sunday morning, but additional rainfall may prolong flooding.
- A river stage of 25.0 feet can cause extensive crop land flooding, mainly between State Highway 30 and County Highway 46. Water will begin to cover the unpaved portion of Union County Highway 47 near Mud Creek.
This prediction is for flooding in the general area where Jessica Stacks is believed to have gone missing on January 1st, 2021, from the then-flooded Tallahatchie River bottom.
Tombigbee River near Amory (Monroe County)
- The warning in in effect from the evening of Friday February 26 to late Saturday night, February 27.
- At 10:15 AM CST Thursday the stage was 13.2 feet. Flood stage is 20.0 feet. Minor flooding is forecast. The river is forecast to begin rising late tonight, Thursday February 25, and to crest near 21.3 feet early Saturday.
- The river is forecast to fall below flood stage Saturday. However, additional rainfall may prolong flooding.
- With the river stage at 22.0 feet, lowland near the river will be flooded.
Tombigbee River at Bigbee (Monroe County)
- The flood warning is in effect from Friday Evening, February 26 to Sunday morning February 28.
- At 9:30 AM CST today, Thursday February 25, the river stage was at 9.8 feet. Flood stage is 14 feet. Minor flooding is forecast. The river is forecast to begin rising Friday morning, February 26th, and to crest near 16.2 feet early Saturday morning.
- The river is expected to fall below flood stage on Sunday. However, additional rainfall may prolong flooding.
- With the river stage at 17 feet, water will flow over portions of Hood Road and extensive agricultural flooding will occur.
A Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring. All interested parties should take necessary precautions immediately. Motorists should not attempt to drive around barricades or drive cars through flooded areas.
Flood warning, Little Tallahatchie RIver, National Weather Service, Northeast MS news, Tombigbee River, weather