State Representative Sam Creekmore asked the Union County Board to approve a request to the state legislature to establish a Tallahatchie River Authority.
Creekmore spoke at the March 21 meeting of the Union County Board of Supervisors. He said a Tallahatchie River Authority would allow each Mississippi County through which the Tallahatchie River flows to appoint one member to the authority.
Creekmore said the purposes of the Tallahatchie River Authority would be to promote tourism, economic development and bank stabilization along the river.
Creekmore presented the request in the form of a resolution to be sent to the legislature. The county board voted unanimously in favor of the resolution.
The board then went through an agenda of routine business in which they:
- Transferred $12,508.53 from the General Fund to the Martintown North Utlities Fund to pay project costs and amended the budget accordingly.
- Discussed proposals from Elliott and Britt Engineering and the Three Rivers Development District to redraw the county supervisor districts in accordance with the results of the 2020 census,
- Approved the monthly budget of the Union County Chancery Clerk for February2022.
- Approved contracts for work on County Road 81 for Elliott and Britt and Riverside Traffic Systems for $15,107.48.
- Approved payments to the Circuit Clerk of $6,269 for the March Term and $2, 525 for the Vacation Term.
- Approved moving the voting precinct for West Union to Friendship Methodist Church, 1534 Highway 30 West.
- Approved requests for ten payments to the County Coroner in the amount of $175 each.
- Approved requests by County Sheriff to delete a 2010 Dodge Charger and a 2010 Ford Crown Victoria from the inventory. A manual check for $16,000 to Asia Motors Co. was approved to purchase a vehicle for the sheriff’s department.
- Approved a request by the Fire Coordinator to buy a new fire truck for the Southeast Volunteer Fire Department. The new fire truck will be purchased from the state contract for $334,935 with $90,000 of the money furnished by the state. Delivery of the new fire truck may take up to 24 months.
The board went into executive session with Three Rivers Economic Development District Director Randy Kelly and members of his staff to discuss economic development issues.
The Union County Board of Supervisors will meet again at 10 a.m., Monday, April. 4.
County Fire Coordinator, County Supervisor Districts, Martintown North Utlities Fund, New Albany MS, Northeast Mississippi news, Tallahatchie River Authority, Three Rivers Planning and Development District, Union County Board of Supervisors, Union county Circuit Clerk, Union County Coroner, Union County MS, Union County Sheriff